BUNDLE - Classic SF
EXTRASOLAR edited by Nick Gevers
Among the brilliant visionary scenarios in Extrasolar: military antagonists meet in the atmosphere of a gas giant; gifted children hijack a starship to search out a new home; a superjovian world yields mysterious and much-coveted gemstones; aliens find our solar system disconcertingly paradoxical; a feminist SF writer of the Seventies crafts liberating exoplanetary dreams; the habitats aboard a gargantuan spaceship cater to the needs of truly exotic aliens; and scientists eagerly seeking exoplanets confront a devastating truth. And then there are songs of home and far away and bitter exile; intelligence calling to intelligence across light years and species barriers; utterly immersive dives into perilous planetary atmospheres; brave responses to enigmatic messages from the stars; a machine embracing a Gothic destiny; and a truly different kind of space opera.
- Holdfast Alastair Reynolds
- Shadows of Eternity Gregory Benford
- A Game of Three Generals Aliette de Bodard
- The Bartered Planet Paul Di Filippo
- Come Home Terry Dowling
- The Residue of Fire Robert Reed
- Thunderstone Matthew Hughes
- Journey to the Anomaly Ian Watson
- Canoe -- Nancy Kress
- The Planet Woman By M.V. Crawford Lavie Tidhar
- Arcturean Nocturne Jack McDevitt
- Life Signs Paul McAuley
- The Fall of the House of Kepler Ian R. MacLeod
- The Tale of the Alcubierre Horse Kathleen Ann Goonan
THE TELEMASS QUARTET by Eric Brown
When Matt Hendrick's daughter Sam is kidnapped by his ex-wife Maatje and the malign Dr Hovarth, Hendrick embarks on a quest to track her down and return her to Earth. His journey from planet to exotic planet takes him to . . .
- Fomalhaut IV . . . What he finds on the easy going backwater world is a bizarre religion and a race of aliens whose rituals promise to bring to dead back to life...
- Spica III . . . where Hendrick stumbles across a cult whose charismatic leader demands nothing less form his adherents as the ultimate sacrifice: suicide...
- Alpha Reticuli II . . . On this world Hendrick meets an alien Effectuator who claims that he can bring Matt's dead daughter, Sam, back to life... but is the alien all he claims to be?
- And finally to Bellatrix I . . . Maatje and Dr Hovarth have fled to the planet of Beltran, home of the advanced but reclusive alien race known as the Vhey. But on this sultry jungle world, at the end of his quest, a moving and horrific denouement awaits Matt Hendrick . . .
THE MALACIA TAPESTRY by Brian W Aldiss
Jostling through the light and shadow of Malacias streets goes a crowd of people; dukes, wealthy merchants, bankrupt families, actresses, priests, courtesans, spongers, soldiers, and down-at-heel showmen. They are seen through the eyes of Perian de Chirolo, actor and man-about-town, whose adventures take him through all strata of Malacian society and into the heart of its darkest secrets, both lay and spiritual. Episodes idyllic and chilling follow each other in comic succession . . . This atmospheric novel . . . sets out in dramatic form many of the conflicts and contradictions of our own day and is the most excitingly original story yet told by an author of incomparable vitality and imagination.
A picaresque novel which attempts to capture something of the mysterious world of G. B. Tiepolos etchings. The down-at-heel actor, de Chirolo, sees everything in the embalmed city state of Malacia as art or artifice, until reality catches up with him.